Thursday 29 November 2012

The Nightwish Fandom.

You  know, guys.. This is going to be pretty truthful blog, so if you can't handle it don't read it.

I love Nightwish. I really do, I eat, sleep and breath their music. (I guess that's what happens when you listen to them compulsively for ten years..) They also happen to be really awesome people and I couldn't be blessed more than to have met them, not once, not twice but three times, and to hang out backstage and watch observantly, the shenanigans that go down.

Now, onto the Nightwish Fandoms.  Every social networking site has them. I'm going to talk about two in particular. Facebook and Tumblr. Alright, now the good sides of these fandoms is you are never far from like-minded people who just seem to share in genuine awesomeness. I have met so many of my friends through Nightwish, and am connected to said friends in one hundred million ways. We can talk about the concerts, posts pictures, have a laugh and share in one oogey, gooey Nightwish moment. That's the cool side of fandoms, and I enjoy that.

But there's ALWAYS a downside isn't there.  Let me post some of the things I've seen on the tumblr Nightwish tag within the last month:

Nightwish is selling wine now? WTF. Sell outs! (First of all, go home, you're drunk. Maestro loves his wine, it's featured in how many Nightwish songs?)

It's all Tuomas's fault for Anette and Tarja! He goes through women like I go through underwear! (Every five years? Uh, that's pretty gross..)

Floor Jansen is a man and she sucks. (WHAT?! This doesn't even make sense..)

Tuomas is a diva and he's ruining the lives of the other band members. (Hm.. I didn't see any shackles backstage in Montreal or Toronto. Perhaps they are invisible shackles..? That's the only explanation for why they stay right? He's making them!)

Troy's an asshole and should have never posted that thing on Facebook! (Troy has a typical British sense of humour! It's how he is.  I didn't find it particularly offensive, it was meant to be taken with a dose of laugh or shut the fuck up, too bad you guys missed the memo)

I think that's all I've seen on Tumblr, but now let's move onto Facebook.

Facebook is less annoying, because if people post assholeish comments, they don't pop up on your feed (unless you liked that group) like they do on Tumblr.

ON THE BANDS FACEBOOK STATUSES! People asking them to come their on their current tour! You know they already have a schedule right and flights booked back and things like that.

People commenting that Tarja is the best and Anette or Floor can't compare. (I guess that's true, because they weren't hiring similar voices,  and Anette and Floor have different voices all together. If Tarja was the best for you and you will NOT listen to anyone else with Nightwish, go buy Century Child and before, and shut up!)

How expensive concert tickets are. Yes, they run a lot of money, indeed. But do you want to see this band?! Are you okay with missing Nightwish for another three years or so. (*sadface* no.. and I went to both the concerts in Canada!) Then STAHP and pay for it!

You people make me crazy and really, I'm making it out to be a bit more of a big deal than it is, because in reality this is probably about half of the Nightwish fandom and the other half is awesome, still...

STOP IT AND BE A FAN OF NIGHTWISH. But at the same time, if you want like Anette Olzon, and Tarja Turunen. Hey, let's throw some ReVamp in there too.  It isn't a competition and it's not a one up challenge. And in the mean-time, stop posting nasty, negative comments in the wonderful, supportive Nightwish fandoms.

Dedicated to all my Nightwish friends.. There are a lot of you guys.. Probably about fifty, if not more. <3

I'm going to go listen  to Slaying The Dreamer now and have a nice hot shower.

Bailey Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment