Thursday 13 December 2012

Wheelchairs and Concerts!

Now, I saw this little gem on tumblr today, and I just have to post it everywhere I can because it's just so true. Now, I like my symphonic metal and with that comes it's own problems but I always get shafted in the back by security, or someone looking out for my well being. Did I not pay for my ticket? Do I not have the right to see the show like everyone else and in some cases, hear it? I don't care if you mosh around me, just try not to hit me please and we'll be all good.

Please be respectful of the damn wheelchair and each other because I can't count the number of times I have been shafted in the back and cried because I couldn't see anything or hear anything more than muffled voices and it really ruins my  mood. Concerts are a package deal for me, I need to see and hear them and enjoy the thrill of being there, entwined with the band and connected to all the individuals as the music invades my senses, and really that's what a concert should be and I'm sorry if you don't feel the same way.

I was absolutely heartbroken in Montreal when I was told I couldn't go up for Nightwish front and I was shafted in the very back left. Granted, a friend did everything she could and they did eventually move my halfway through Kamelot's set but the view wasn't any better, I could just hear better.

and I know management and staff were just really trying to look out for me, but why isn't there more accessible seating at shows? Most venues don't have any, let alone know what to do when a disabled person wheels in.

My point was, be respectful and try to look around you, anyway. I always ask all the people around me if they can see okay and everything. It's the right thing to do. Also, don't mosh into me, because my wheels do and will hurt when I decide to retaliate.


Bailey Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment